|FIFA World Cup 2022: Argentina’s path to ultimate defined | Football News|
Here is what you should learn about their path to the ultimate:
HOW DID ARGENTINA QUALIFY FOR THE ROUND OF 16?
* The high two in every World Cup group advance to the final 16. The knockout rounds, which started on Dec. 3, function one-off matches, which may go to additional time and penalties to resolve the winners.
* Argentina recovered from their shock defeat to Saudi Arabia with back-to-back wins over Mexico and Poland to complete as winners of Group C.
HOW DID ARGENTINA REACH THE QUARTER-FINALS?
* Lionel Messi and Julian Alvarez scored in Argentina’s 2-1 win over Australia of their Round of 16 tie.
HOW DID ARGENTINA REACH THE SEMI-FINALS?
* Argentina beat the Netherlands 4-3 in a penalty shootout of their quarter-final tie, after Nahuel Molina and Lionel Messi’s objectives had been cancelled out by a brace from Dutch substitute Wout Weghorst.
<p>Argentina beat Netherlands on penalties to succeed in FIFA World Cup semis</p>
WHO ARE ARGENTINA’S OPPONENTS IN THE SEMI-FINALS?
* Argentina will face Croatia within the semi-finals, after the 2018 finalists beat favourites Brazil on penalties.
WHO COULD ARGENTINA FACE IN THE FINAL?
* If Argentina go all the way in which to the ultimate, they may doubtlessly discover themselves taking over both 2018 champions France (Group D winners), England (Group B winners), Portugal (Group H winners) or Morocco (Group F winners).